Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Color Conundrum

If nothing else comes from all of this we will have learned patience (although I am hoping a beautiful house is another outcome).  All we had been waiting for was the contractor to finish the flooring and some trim work around the walkthrough and the patio door. 

Joe received a phone call from the contractor Tuesday afternoon informing us that he was at the hospital with a herniated disk in his back and wasn't going to be able to make it back this week.  Now, please don't get me wrong,  we both felt really really bad that he was hurting,  but this left us in an extreme pickle.  We have no flooring, unfinished walls, and an extreme urgency to get out of our rental.

Well, in the spirit of true "DIY'ing it" we are now going to be finishing the floors OURSELVES.  I personally am super stoked about taking on this project.  I've watched more YouTube videos and read more blog articles about laying laminate than I care to admit.  Joe on the other hand is a bit leery as he is the one who is actually going to be doing the work, so it's easy for me to be gung-ho about it.  Technically Joe and his dad will be doing it.  His parents are coming this weekend to help us out in the house. Thank the Lord!


But the process is still moving forward, even if it feels like it's at a snail's pace.  The walls of the main floor look like a 4 year old was set free on them with finger-paints.  We are pickin paint colors people.



We are going with a grey and white color palette which is going to completely lighten and open up the house.  You'd think grey and white would be pretty easy to pick out, right? WRONG.  There are just as many whites as there are blues, reds, greens, etc.  Mind-boggling really.  Although I did decide that I'd like to be the person who names the paint when I grow up.  Who comes up with these?! 'Hugs-n-Kisses'....'Likeable Sand'....'Whispering Peach'...and the ever popular 'Nacho Cheese'.


After narrowing down whites from a bazillion about 25 to these, I hung them on the wall.  It only took about 30 minutes of seeing them in the room to realize some of them were awful.
I'm excited to see the finished product down the road, just hopefully not TOO far down.

I really want to paint the front door a color from somewhere in here...
(inspiration coming from this post and this one over at younghouselove.com)


Joe said 'yes', so I'm going to run with it.

 I'm hoping he said 'yes' to the vibrant door color rather than "Do you think I'm crazy?"......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know what you're thinking!